Gol Gappay is a popular Pakistani appetizer. It is great in taste and eaten with relish. This mouth watering appetizer is a street food. It is the perfect appetizer and enjoyed by all age group. It is made of flour, semolina and fried in hot oil and filled with potato or chick peas and served with tamarind spicy water and various chutneys.
Gol gapay contains the flavor of sour, sweet, spicy, salty. It is crispy, quick to cook and can be serve in a variety of ways .Golgapay can be stored but fresh is more delicious to eat. It is Store carefully in a large airtight container. It is very economical and easy to cook.
The Gol gapa is a 1 1/2 inch puffed Poori which is fried in hot oil. The most important part is to take care not to break during frying as it has to hold the water and other ingredients. It is filled with potato or chick peas or green lentils, chutney and the tamarind water. The Gol Gapays are always made bite-sized.
It is surely a skill eating Gol Gapay. One has to put the whole Golgapa into mouth expertly. This popular snack is usually enjoyed at many of the street hawkers in
. Now a day, it is becoming increasingly popular in many restaurants. Pakistan
The ingredients added into the Gol Gapay are according to one‘s taste. Many people like to have only the sweet tamarind chutney, some like it hot and spice, some only add the chick peas while others flavor with the potatoes. Golgapay’s recipe is very simple.
Gol Gappay Recipe:
1. Sooji (Semolina) 1/2 cup
2. Maida (Plain Refined Flour) 1/2 tbsp.
4. Salt to taste
5. Oil for Frying
6. Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Mix semolina, plain flour, Cooking Soda salt, 2 tablespoons of oil and knead well to make dough, leave it bit stiffer than normal.
2. Cover it with a wet towel and let it stand for 20 minutes.
3. Now make very small balls and roll them into small circles.
6. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and then fry them.
7. The idea is to puff them like a sphere and fry them till golden brown.
8. Take them out and put them on kitchen paper towel, to get rid of the extra oil.
9. Let them completely cool down (otherwise they will become soggy) before you put them into an airtight container.
Ingredients for Spicy water:
1. Chopped Mint Leaves 1 1/2 cups
2. Chopped Coriander Leaves 1 tbsp.
3. Tamarind – 1/3 cup
4. Ginger 1″
5. Green chilies – 4 to 5
6. Ground Cumin Seed (roasted) 1 tsp.
7. Kala Namak (Black Salt) 1 1/2 tsp.
8. Salt to taste
1. Soak the tamarind pulp in one cup of warm water for one hour.
2. Strain the tamarind residue out to get thick tamarind water. While straining in the strainer mash the tamarind with the help of a spoon.
3. Put mint leaves, chopped coriander, ginger, chilies and dry roasted cumin seed.
4. Add a little water and mix to a smooth consistency using a blender.
5. Put this thick paste into a jug and add fills the jug with water. (Add the water slowly and taste the mixture and if you want to dilute more then add water.)
6. Add salt and black rock salt to taste.
Ingredients for Red Tamarind Chutney:
1. Tamarind 1 cup
2. Jaggery – ½ cup
3. Sugar 2 tbsp.
4. Red chili powder – ½ tsp
5. Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
6. Dry Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp
7. Cloves – 2
8. Warm water – 2 cups
9. Vegetable oil 1 tsp
10. Salt to taste
1. Remove the seeds from tamarind and soak it in warm water for one hour.
2. Dry roasts the cumin seeds and the cloves.
3. Pound them into coarse powder.
4. Now take the Tamarind pulp mixture, strain it and add jaggery, sugar, red chili powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, cloves and salt.
4. Put the mixture in a pan and heat for 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
6. On cooling, blend the contents in a blender.
SERVING THE GOL GAPAY:
Tap the Poori at the center lightly to make a half inch hole in it. Stuff boiled potatoes and chick peas into the gol gappay. Boiled Potato should be diced in little square and mixed with salt and red chili. Add a little Red Tamarind Chutney. Dip the filled Gol gapay into the chilled Spicy water and serve
There are several other variations as well. Yogurt can also be added. Ketchup or pickles can be served too. Make your favorite combination which give taste of your choice. One thing is definite this yummy spicy food is fun to eat.