Zarda is a special dessert used on cheerful and delighted occasions, like weddings, festivals, parties, religious occasions, family gatherings, and so on. Zarda is a traditional Pakistani sweet. It is a popular dessert. The distinctive feature about Zarda is its Yellow color, which gives the colorful impact to dish and enhance temptation to eat. Now a day’s slightly different method of Zarda is also made in
. Instead of yellow coloring, multiple food colorings are added so the rice grains are of multiple colors. Pakistan
The name Zarda comes from Persian. In Urdu language 'zard' means the dark yellow color'. It is named because the yellow food color is added to the rice. Zarda is made by boiling rice with (orange) food color. Main ingredient used in Zarda is sugar, cardamoms, raisins, saffron, pistachios or almonds and koya.
It is believed that Zarda is origin of Mughals and they introduced this dish. No festive meal is truly complete with out a delicious dessert. Zarda is enjoyed by all age groups and eaten with relish on occasions. Zarda is always in demand and forever popular. .It can be served with infinite variety of garnishing. There are several ways to beautify Zarda. It is choice how to make it rich and delicious.
There might be several methods to prepare. But basic method is same.
- 4 cups Rice (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp. Raisins
- 1 tbsp. Walnuts (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Almonds) (chopped)
- 10 Small Cardamom Pods (Choti Ilaichi)
- 4 Cloves
- 3 tbsp. koya or heavy cream
- 4 cups Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Orange Food Color
- Few drops of kewra essence
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil or ghee
- Soak rice in water for at east 20 to 30 minutes.
- Take large pot combine water, 5 cardamom pods, cloves and food color; bring to a boil. Slowly stir in rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender, (about 20 minutes).
- In a large skillet over low heat, fry the remaining 5 cardamom pods in oil for about 2 minutes or Sauté till aromatic. Now add drained rice and sauté for two minutes till the rice is coated with the oil and the spices are evenly. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream or koya, raisins, walnuts, almonds.
Before serving, stir in the remaining dry fruits and raisins. Zarda is a dish which is best to eaten when freshly made. It is served hot. It can be dish up with various ways. Serving can made with own choices. It can be served with wonderful combination of dry fruits and other decorative items like chandi kay worq (Silver sheet). Koya is another way to make it marvelous. Methai (sweet meat) add an extra special touch to this dessert. Zarda is no doubt a wonderful rich mouth watering dessert for all occasions.